When it comes to keeping your little ones entertained this summer, beach balls are a surefire hit! Not only are they inexpensive (grab some at Dollar Tree!), but they are just perfect for all kinds of gross and fine motor activities. Toddlers and preschoolers love the vibrant colors and endless possibilities that beach balls offer.
If you’re looking for some simple beach ball activities for your little adventurers, I’ve got you covered with ten beach ball activities tailored specifically for toddlers and preschoolers. These activities are simple, engaging, and perfect for creating memorable summer fun moments. Let’s dive in and explore the fun-filled world of beach ball play!
- Beach Ball Roll & Return: Start by gently rolling the beach ball towards your child and encourage them to catch it and roll it back. Toddlers and preschoolers will love the excitement of trying to catch the rolling ball. Make up your own simple song like “Roll, roll, roll the ball, gently to my (child’s name); roll, roll, roll the ball, gently back to mommy” (to the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat).
- Beach Ball Toss: Have your little ones stand a few feet away from you and take turns tossing the beach ball back and forth. Start with short distances and gradually increase the distance as their throwing skills improve. This activity helps develop hand-eye coordination and strengthens their throwing motion.
- Beach Ball Goal: Use a laundry basket or box on its side, and have your child roll the ball into the basket. To make this harder, use masking tape to mark a line a little bit away from the box…and have them roll it in again. Once your child has begun to develop kicking skills, they can also use the box as a soccer goal for their beach ball!
- Beach Ball Bowling: Use empty water bottles as bowling pins and arrange them in a triangular shape. Encourage your little ones to roll the beach ball towards the pins, attempting to knock them down.
- Beach Ball Balancing Act: Challenge your toddlers and preschoolers to balance the beach ball on different body parts, such as their heads, shoulders, or knees. You can demonstrate how to balance the ball first and let them have a turn. This activity enhances their gross motor skills and encourages focus and concentration.
- Beach Ball Story: Sit in a circle or (if it’s just you and your child) sit across from each other. Start a story with a few sentences, and then roll the ball to your child. Now it’s his or her turn to add on to the story. Once they finish, they roll the ball back to you so you can continue the story. Keep rolling back and forth until the story is finished!
- Beach Ball Simon Says: Put a twist on the classic game of Simon Says by incorporating a beach ball. As the “Simon,” instruct your little ones to perform actions like touching the beach ball with their noses, giving it a gentle pat, or rolling it across the floor. This activity promotes listening skills, following directions, and creativity.
- Beach Ball Hockey: Cut a pool noodle in half and let your child use it with the beach ball like a hockey stick. Demonstrate how to move the ball across the yard to a goal area you’ve set up. You can also work with them on passing skills with you or another child. This is a great exercise in taking turns!
- Beach Ball Target Throw: Set up targets using beach towels or use hula hoops on the ground. Have your little ones take turns throwing the beach ball and trying to hit the targets. Adjust the distance based on their age and abilities.
- Beach Ball Water Play: Fill a shallow container or kiddie pool with water and float some beach balls in it. Let your toddlers and preschoolers splash, push, and play with the balls in the water. This activity combines sensory play and water fun, providing a refreshing experience for hot summer days. Always be sure an adult is present during any water play and any of the above activities!
Beach balls are a fantastic source of gross motor development for toddlers and preschoolers, igniting their imagination and keeping them active during the summer heat wave. These ten beach ball activities are specifically designed to cater to their age group, ensuring hours of fun and laughter. From rolling and tossing to balancing and splashing, these activities will create lasting memories and foster important developmental skills. So, grab a beach ball, head inside or outside, and watch your little ones delight in the wonders of beach ball play!
Want to try out these activities? Download this list of beach ball activities in PDF form here.